Wednesday, November 2, 2011

MySQL Database on OpenShift

I've been working on an application for my golf club that will allow us to arrange tee times, sign up and play, and report our scores.  I want to build the application with JEE6 technologies like CDI/Weld, JSF2 and JPA2. I started using JavaDB as a database.  Then I found OpenShift from RedHat as a hosting alternative.  It allows me to build the application locally on JBoss AS7 and then publish it to my OpenShift account using Git.  OpenShift also allowed me to change the DB over to MySQL by simply installing MySQL into my account using rhc-ctl-app -a "fw" -e add-mysql-5.1.  You can also add phpAdmin to make administration of your DB easier.  Here's a good blog on setting up OpenShift, MySQL, phpAdmin and Redmine: https://www.redhat.com/openshift/blogs/phpmyadmin-your-way-into-openshift-express-database-management-bliss

 You can see the application running at http://golfplus-basinc.rhcloud.com/.  I am now working to get Google Analytics and WebMaster tools hooked up to the application.  Once that's done, I can focus on the android cell phone component.  I will be reviewing phoneGap, Sencha and Tiggr as alternatives to straight up Android SDK.

3 comments:

  1. You should check out GWT4Ti-Mobile (www.emitrom.com/gwt4timobile) and do your iOS and Android programming in Java. Then, tie in to your backend running on OpenShift with GWT-RPC, much like it is described in our tutorial (http://emitrom.com/node/37).

    Drop us a line at support@emitrom.com if you're interested and need a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott, this is David from Red Hat (and author of that blog on phpMyAdmin). Great to hear that you're having a successful experience with OpenShift. We'd love to hear more about your experience so we can learn how to better serve developers like yourself.

    In addition to PhoneGap (now part of Adobe), Sencha, and Tiggr I would recommend checking out Appcelerator -- they have a great product for writing one application and deploying natively on Android and iPhone (and other phones too).

    Feel free to ping me over email (dblado at redhat.com) or ask questions / find answers on the forums (https://www.redhat.com/openshift).

    Happy coding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, good mention about Appcelerator. The framework I wrote about (GWT4Ti Mobile) is a Java layer on top of Appcelerator's Titanium Mobile framework. We also have a GWT-RPC module that lets you communicate nicely with backends, such as those running on Openshift ;-)

    Now you are writing Java on the front end, our glue in the middle, and Java in the backend. This is music to Java folks' ears.

    ReplyDelete